Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Seattle!

Flight #2 to Seattle

It turns out the CEO of jetBlue was going to speak at the kick-off, but the event was pushed back to 11am, and my flight boarded at 10:20am. It was still cool to go to both the Boston and New York kick-offs. Lots of free food and AYCJ gear.

So far in my travels it has been cool to see other folks with AYCJ bag tags or pins, then trade stories. I met a lady on the Bainbridge ferry of all places!


Here's a quick video of taking off from JFK. I'm not in seat 22F, they were sold out in regular seats so I had to book an extra legroom seat, 3F.
It was a long flight, 6 hours, and we came in right over downtown Seattle but I didn't have my camera handy. Apparently, the light rail connection into town from the airport is only a year old. I don't know anyone in Seattle, so I stayed at the Green Tortoise hostel, right at the Pike Public market, where they throw the fish.

I didn't rank it high on my list before, but after checking out the University of Washington School of Public Health, I'm really intersted now and would go if accepted. The campus is great, just 10 minutes out of Seattle.
Other touristy stuff included taking a ferry across the sound to Bainbridge Island, going to the Experience Music Project (which I couldn't get into for free) and the Pacific Science Center (which I could, hooray for my Boston Museum of Science staff badge getting me into places for free!), and my fave, the observation deck atop the Space Needle. But in all my time in Seattle, I never saw Mt. Rainier! It was true Seattle weather, cloudy and damp the whole time.

 Rainbow Space Needle!


No flight next, a train! I'd rather take the scenic Amtrak train through the Cascades than fly all the way back to JFK to Portland. And it's only $29, pretty sweet for a 4 hour train trip. Next up...Portland Oregon!

No comments:

Post a Comment